Posted Oct 26, 2016 by Turley, Hansen & Rosasco on 9/11 Cancers
If you were a 9/11 first responder, a new study shows you need to be on the watch for thyroid and prostate cancers – even more than the other almost 70 cancers covered by the World Trade Center Health Program and compensated by the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund. This matches the experience of the 9/11 attorneys at Turley Hansen where the numbers of our clients with 9/11 prostate and thyroid cancers are outpacing other 9/11 cancers.
Important Note to 9/11 First Responders: Get your simple PSA blood test for prostate cancer today! It could save your life.
The researchers found that firefighters who worked at Ground Zero were more than three times more likely to get thyroid cancer. The study also found that between 2005 and 2009, prostate cancer diagnoses were about 38 percent higher for the WTC-exposed firefighters.
The study results were similar to a previous study comparing thyroid and prostate cancers found in 9/11 recovery workers compared to the general population. In that study, researchers found a 10 percent increase in the rates of all cancers among those exposed at the WTC compared to the general population, with thyroid and prostate cancers being the most commonly diagnosed.
The research continues to confirm the unfortunate impact of the WTC toxins on all rescue, recovery and cleanup workers at the 9/11 crash site. Besides firemen (FDNY, volunteer firefighters), policemen (NYPD, MTA) and other first responders, others at high risk for 9/11 related cancers are:
- All Construction workers at Ground Zero
- Iron Workers at Ground Zero
- Utility workers (Verizon, Con Ed and Time Warner workers)
- Security workers
- Federal workers (FBI, EPA)
- National Guard
- Office cleaners in downtown buildings
- All professional and office workers in the financial district between 9/11/2001 and 5/30/2002
- All downtown workers in any capacity below Canal Street between 9/11/2001 and 5/30/2002
- All downtown Manhattan residents living below Canal Street between 9/11/2001 and 5/30/2002
- Students below Canal Street between 9/11/2001 and 5/30/2002
- City workers at the Fresh Kills Landfill on Staten Island
- Workers on barges and piers taking 9/11 away
- Workers at the NYC morgue
- And many others.
If you have questions about your eligibility for free healthcare from the World Trade Center Health Program and compensation benefits from the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund for 9/11 prostate cancer, call us today at 1-855-WTC-INFO (1-855-982-4636).
Again, get your PSA test today!