Through August 31, 2018, the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) has received over 38,500 claims for eligibility and compensation. With that many claimants, a process that involves a detailed review of applications and supporting evidence, and limited staff to conduct these reviews, a long time can pass before a claim is approved. An even longer time may pass before any money actually reaches a claimant. This inevitably means that some 9/11 victims pass away while the VCF is still evaluating their claim. In such cases, families of claimants may still be eligible for compensation, but they need to take specific steps to make that happen.
Taking these steps while still grieving the loss of a loved one and dealing with the other challenges that follow can be overwhelming. That’s why the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund attorneys at Turley, Hansen & Rosasco, LLP work closely with the families of first responders, recovery workers, and other 9/11 victims who pass away while their VCF claim is pending.
When Death is NOT 9/11 Related
The steps families need to take will differ depending on whether the death was caused by a 9/11-related condition or for unrelated reasons. For example, an individual suffering from a 9/11-related cancer could die in a car accident.
When a 9/11 claimants’ death is not related to their claimed illness, families need to take the following steps:
- Identify the claimant’s Personal Representative, such as the executor of the claimant’s estate. The Personal Representative will then need to amend the original personal injury claim to identify him/herself as the claimant’s Personal Representative.
- The Personal Representative will also need to complete and submit a new Claim Form Signature Page and applicable exhibits.
- If the claimant did not submit the Compensation portion of the Claim Form and required supporting documents before passing away, the Personal Representative will need to complete and submit the form.
- The Personal Representative should also submit payment information so the VCF can process any future payments.
If an Eligible 9/11-Related Condition Caused the Claimant’s Death
If your loved one passed away because of his or her 9/11-related condition, you need to take the following steps:
- Identify the decedent’s Personal Representative
- The Personal Representative needs to complete and submit a new claim by beginning a new registration under a new VCF number, and then complete all of the information in the eligibility and compensation portions of the claim. The representative must submit a new Claim Form even if a compensation decision was rendered on the original claim.
- The representative must submit the required supporting documents applicable to your claim. There is no need to resubmit any documents that were already filed with the original Personal Injury claim since the VCF will be able to copy those documents to the new claim.
- The Personal Representative needs to submit payment information so the VCF can process any future payments.
Since the passage of the original Zadroga Act in 2010, Turley, Hansen & Rosasco, LLP has helped over 1200 clients recover over $75 million in 9/11 victim compensation. We are the only law firm in the nation that focuses exclusively on representing victims, first responders, and recovery workers for their 9/11 related illnesses and injuries. Please call us at 1-855-WTC-INFO (982-4636) or fill out our contact form to schedule a free claim review today
We look forward to assisting you and your family.