Posted Mar 2, 2017 by Turley, Hansen & Rosasco on 9/11 Victim Compensation
The losses suffered by September 11th victims take many forms – physical, emotional, psychological, and financial. The amounts awarded by the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) attempt to address these different kinds of losses. Awards can include compensation for “non-economic” losses such as pain and suffering as well as amounts for tangible “economic” losses. These kinds of losses include the out of pocket costs victims have incurred for medical treatment and prescription drugs.
When you file a claim for compensation from the VCF, you will need to itemize and provide documentation to support your claimed losses, including, if applicable:
- Past lost earnings
- Past lost employment-related benefits
- Future lost earnings
- Future lost employment-related benefits
- Past out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Past and future replacement services such as housekeeping, regular home maintenance service such as lawn care, etc.
- Funeral, burial, memorial service expenses
For past out-of-pocket medical and prescription drug expenses, the VCF will award you compensation if:
- You have incurred and paid for a medical expense related to physical injuries and conditions that the WTC Health Program has found to be related to 9/11 and therefore are on the list of conditions established by the WTC Health Program; and
- You have not been and will not be reimbursed for that expense from another source, such as insurance or workers’ compensation.
When filing a VCF claim for medical expenses, you will need to complete the VCF Medical Expense Worksheet. In addition to filling out the worksheet, you will have to provide documents such as receipts, invoices, bills, or other documentation for each specific expense showing the amounts you have paid.
Tips for Completing and Submitting the Worksheet
Here are four key tips for completing and submitting the worksheet:
- Only submit receipts for those expenses you list in your worksheet.
- Only submit receipts related to treatment or medication for an eligible 9/11 physical condition.
- Do not include expenses covered by the WTC Health Program as those costs are not eligible for reimbursement from the VCF.
- Complete the worksheet in Microsoft Excel format. If the worksheet is not submitted in Microsoft Excel format in a timely manner, the VCF will calculate the amount of your award based on the information available and will not include any loss for claimed medical expenses.
If you do receive an award from the VCF that does not include compensation for your medical expenses, you can amend your claim by submitting a properly completed and supported worksheet. Future medical expenses are not awarded by the VCF, because future medical care and prescriptions are covered (until 2090) for all 9/11-related conditions.
The experienced and committed 9/11 attorneys at Turley, Hansen & Rosasco have assisted thousands of 9/11 victims and responders with their VCF compensation claims, working with them to submit the strongest possible claims. If you have questions or need help with your 9/11 compensation claims, including claims for past out-of-pocket medical expenses, please call us today at 1-855-WTC-INFO (1-855-982-4636) or fill out our contact form to arrange for your free 9/11 claim evaluation. We look forward to assisting you.