No. However, over 80% of 9/11 claimants applying for compensation from the VCF choose to be represented by an attorney.
Some of the things an attorney for your 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund claim can help you with include:
- Take the filing burdens off you and your family so you can concentrate on your health
- Obtaining the maximum possible compensation award for you and your family
- Properly and timely registering your claim so that you do not miss the strict VCF claim filing deadlines;
- Help you get your 9/11 cancer and other conditions certified by the World Trade Center Health Program;
- Obtain “Proof of Presence” evidence though detailed witness affidavits to establish your eligibility for compensation;
- Obtain all your medical records so that we present a full picture of your 9/11-related health problems to the VCF n- increasing your award;
- Represent you and coordinate the complex interplay between 9/11 related Social Security claims and workers’ compensation claims;
- Help you prepare 9/11 Victim Impact Statements to obtain the maximum award for non-economic losses (pain and suffering damages);
- Obtain all prior tax returns, pension and benefits information, Social Security disability, workers’ compensation, past out-of-pocket medical expenses and household expenses to calculate your lost earnings claim;
- Complete and file all other necessary legal documents and forms, including the Surrogate Court petition and application required for all 9/11 death claims;
- Write a comprehensive legal brief, as necessary, explaining to the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund all your economic and non-economic damages, including advocating for how the damages should be determined;
- Review your award notice for accuracy;
- If we disagree with either the amount of your award or an eligibility decision, we can appeal your award and our attorney will fight for you at the formal hearing at the Department of Justice;
- If your condition worsens, we can amend your claim for additional compensation;
- Listen to you and your loved ones in a compassionate and helpful way as we help you navigate the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund process.
- Perform all these service for the reasonable attorney fee of 10% as capped under the Zadroga Act
Should you have questions about medical care or a compensation award for from the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, please call us at 1-855-982-4636.