9/11 Victim Compensation Fund and Benefits
An award by the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (“VCF”) may include a tax-free award for the following:
- Non-economic loss (pain and suffering)
- Wrongful death award
- Past lost earnings
- Past lost employment-related benefits
- Future lost earnings
- Future lost employment-related benefits
- Past out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Past and future replacement services such as housekeeping, regular home maintenance service such as lawn care, etc.
- Funeral, burial, memorial service expenses
The VCF provides tax-free compensation for any individual (or family of and deceased individual) who suffer from many common breathing or digestive diseases or disorders including sleep apnea, gastric reflux, asthma and many other similar conditions.
In 2012, the VCF was amended to include compensation for people suffering from over 70 types of cancers, including leukemia, kidney cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, skin cancer, lymphoma, prostate cancer, colon cancer, bladder cancer, oropharynx cancer, rectal cancer, and many other types of cancer.