9/11 Funeral Expense Compensation
9/11 Funeral and Burial Expense Reimbursement
The average funeral costs today range from $7,000 to $10,000. Depending on some common options, the cost can quickly approach $20,000. Turley, Hansen & Rosasco, LLP has obtained over $20,000 in appropriate funeral expenses for the family of a deceased 9/11 victim.
The 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund will compensate the Personal Representative and/or the victim’s estate for appropriate documented and paid out-of-pocket funeral, burial or memorial expenses for victims who died as a result of an eligible 9/11-related physical injury. These funeral costs may include the following:
- Funeral planning;
- Securing the necessary permits and copies of death certificates;
- Preparing the notices, sheltering the remains, and coordinating the arrangements with the cemetery, crematory or other third parties;
- Transporting the remains;
- Embalming and other preparation;
- Use of the funeral home for the viewing;
- Acknowledgment cards;
- Flowers and/or wreaths;
- Ceremony or memorial service;
- Use of equipment and staff for a graveside service;
- Use of a hearse or limousine;
- A casket, outer burial container or alternate container;
- Cremation or interment;
- Shiva platters;
- Funeral plot;
- Washing (ghusl) and shrouding (kaffan);
- Grave stone, marker, monument.
The 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund will calculate funeral costs and burial expenses reimbursement on a case-by-case basis using documentation submitted by the Personal Representative. If any part of these expenses were covered by life insurance or another source, you must provide documentation of that coverage. The VCF will not reimburse expenses that were not paid for by either the family or the estate.
If you have any questions about 9/11 – related funeral and burial expense reimbursement, please call the Turley, Hansen & Rosasco New York City office at 212-697-3701.